Poultry & Eggs Benefits
U.S. poultry and eggs not only taste good but they are also good for you. Select from the following food items below to find more information about their benefits. Check out our page on proper safety and handling to keep foodborne illnesses at bay.
- High-quality protein, essential vitamins and minerals, and is very affordable.
- The American Heart Association states that an egg a day is permitted in healthy individuals as part of a heart-healthy dietary pattern.
- The egg yolk can potentially be a preventative strategy against age-related degeneration.
- Eggs are inspected by the USDA and graded accordingly.
- Chicken, on average, is lower in saturated fat than beef and pork.
- Chicken is an excellent low-calorie, lean source of high-quality protein.
- Chicken is one of the most versatile foods in the world, it can be roasted, fried, barbequed, microwaved, pre-cooked, and found ready to eat.
- USDA inspectors who maintain the highest quality in the world inspect U.S. chicken.
- Because USDA inspectors are highly trained, any sign of disease within a carcass is detected very early.
- Hormones are not used to raise chickens, only antibiotics are provided to the birds to prevent disease, and are used only when necessary under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian.
- Duck is high in both protein and iron.
- U.S. ducks are raised indoors for protection from the elements; this helps them be of the highest quality possible.
- Raised on nutritious grains such as soybeans and corn.
- Shipped in climate-controlled containers.
- Natural breeding and feeding without compromising the flavor.
- The USDA, like chicken and turkey, federally inspects ducks.
- Additives are not allowed with fresh duck or goose.
- Most cuts of turkey have less calories and more protein than beef or pork.
- USDA officials use the same methods to inspect turkey as chicken, this maintains the standard of high quality.
- Turkey provides the opportunity for quick meal preparation.
- With a low flavor profile and fat content, turkey makes it easy to add other meat products to make a 100% poultry product.
- It blends well with other meat materials for a delicious taste.